[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

get-deps.sh patch, was Re: Subversion 1.8.5 released

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 00:04:58 -0500

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Ben Reser <breser_at_apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/27/13 5:09 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> They're in github as well. I should probably add these comments to the
>> patches, but not tonight.
>>
>> https://raw.github.com/nkadel/subversion-1.8.x-srpm/master/get-deps.sh
>> Updated version of get-deps.sh, with with consistent
>> syntax, latest dependencies, and selection of new sqlite-autoconf
>> package instead of sqlite-amalgamation.
>
> Honestly, I really wish you wouldn't screw with get-deps.sh or would at least
> follow through with my feedback with respect to your suggestion on contributing
> your changes back:
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-users/201309.mbox/%3C5231410E.9000701%40reser.org%3E

Ben, I'm not sure I even saw your note way back when. I've retitled
the subject to be about just get-deps.sh, to avoid confusion bout it.

To address the points in your old note about my revision.:

* I alphabetized the arguments and the subroutines for consistency and
legibility:

* You mentioned that I should not use "$()" syntax. It was helpful to
get the "printf" for SQLITE_VERSION handling into a single line,
because printf parsing is a bit odd.. I'm startled if any system
modern enough to compose Subversion 1.8.5';s dependencies do not
support that syntax, but but it's easy to unroll that change.

* You mention that apr-iconf is only at version 1.2.1, You're quite
correct, I'm fixing that ASAP.

* You point out that gtest is not yet used. If nothing uses it, why
was it ever added to get-deps.sh? I can disable that: I started
writing my version of this before danielsh pulled out the automatic
gtest, and hadn't merged back that modification.

* The "return 1" everywhere is to *stop* the individual subroutine,
but allow it to continue on to the next download. If I see one more
routine that does a "cd" or "wget"and ignores the result and continues
merrily on its way, I'm going to get upset. That said, the handling of
bad command lines is a bit odd, but I didn't elect to try to rewrite
that.

* I updated the SQLite autoconf tool because the www.sqlite.org
doesn't list the release in the existing get-deps.sh as still being
supported. The repository is not browseable, so the only way to find
that old version is to know that it already exists. That strikes me as
a recipe for pain, so I grabbed the more resent release.
Received on 2013-11-28 06:05:37 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.