On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Anatoly Zapadinsky
> It is not a suggestion or a feature request. We are discussing a bug
> which was introduced in 1.8 during the transition to serf. There is a
> bugfix in trunk. How could it be disputed to merge it to 1.8 branch or
> not? You have to postpone this bugfix to 1.9 release?
Nobody is saying the issue won't be fixed in 1.8.x, all I was trying
to tell you is that nobody has nominated a fix to the issue yet. In
order for something to be included in 1.8.x it needs someone to
nominate the change and then receive 3 votes for it. Usually the
person to do that is the person who made the change on trunk.
In this particular case the change on trunk that fixes this wasn't
directed at fixing this issue so much as refactoring some code. I
haven't looked at the code changes myself to know if the changes are
appropriate for backport or not. Since the change on trunk wasn't
directed at resolving this bug the original author probably wasn't
even considering backporting it to 1.8.x. By the time Philip
identified what was fixing the issue on trunk, 1.8.1 had already been
rolled and was waiting for votes. As the RM I would have been not
inclined to delay getting fixes in the hands of users for issues that
impact far more users than this issue does.
Even if the change that is resolving the problem on trunk isn't viable
for backport, that still doesn't mean we won't fix the problem till
1.9.x, it just means a fix that will work for 1.8.x needs to be
I'd suggest some patience here, but I do appreciate your effort to
make sure the issue doesn't get forgotten.
Received on 2013-07-28 10:53:03 CEST