[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: svn commit: r1493097 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/svntest/main.py

From: Ivan Zhakov <ivan_at_visualsvn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:05:02 +0400

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Ivan Zhakov <ivan_at_visualsvn.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Stefan Sperling <stsp_at_elego.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 03:50:01PM +0400, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM, <stsp_at_apache.org> wrote:
>>> > Author: stsp
>>> > Date: Fri Jun 14 14:40:17 2013
>>> > New Revision: 1493097
>>> >
>>> > URL: http://svn.apache.org/r1493097
>>> > Log:
>>> > Run tests with an exclusive lock on working copies. This should reduce test
>>> > run time and also ensures that exclusive locking mode is tested.
>>> >
>>> > I've run ra_local and ra_serf tests with this change and got no failures.
>>> > In any case, if there were any test failures with exlusive locking mode
>>> > enabled, they'd most likely expose bugs in the test suite or Subversion itself.
>>> >
>>> I don't like this change actually:
>>> 1. Running tests in different configuration than regular users are
>>> using bad practice
>>
>> I did think about this before making the change.
>>
>> Your argument can be turned around. If we never test the exclusive
>> locking mode, how can we be sure that it works?
>>
> Just make it optional and someone who interested in this particular
> configuration will use it for testing. Or configure dedicated buildbot
> for that.
>
>> And consider that, if a test passes with exclusive locking, it very
>> likely passes with less restrictive locking. But the reverse is not true!
>> Tests could fail in exclusive locking mode due to bugs in the tests
>> or the code, and we would never see those failures until now.
>>
> No. It's just two different configuration and you cannot say that if
> it pass in one configuration it also doesn't have problems with
> another.
>
>>> 2. It also seems to broke svn benchmarks posted every week, because
>>> now we get totally different numbers for operations.
>>
>> That's unfortunate. But what about things like server-side caching?
>> Don't improvements in such areas have similar effects? I think having
>> better test coverage and test speed is more important than keeping
>> the benchmark results consistent over time.
> Server-side caching is default configuration. I'm just asking your
> keep running test suite in default configuration, which most (at least
> 80%) users are using.
>
>>
>>> Could you please make option to running test suite with exclusive
>>> locking mode and leave it 'off' by default. Thanks!
>>
>> I could do that, yes. But it multiples the number of test configurations
>> yet again, which I don't like. If we do this, I can switch my buildbot
>> to use exclusive locks. And if the buildbot fails some day or we stop
>> maintaining the bot, test coverage will get worse again because nobody
>> tests exclusive mode anymore. So I'd rather have the default be 'on'.
> Multiple tests configurations is great because every person/build can
> right tests for different configuration. But default should be the
> same as default Subversion configuration.
>
>
I've reverted this change in r1496437. You may add test run option if
you'd like to test Subversion with exclusive locking.

-- 
Ivan Zhakov
CTO | VisualSVN | http://www.visualsvn.com
Received on 2013-06-25 14:05:56 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.