[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: paths in diff output (possible bug)

From: Stefan Sperling <stsp_at_elego.de>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 14:51:54 +0200

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 02:43:11PM +0200, Dmitry Pavlenko wrote:
> Helllo Stefan.
>
> Thanks for trying to solve this problem.
> Unfortunately you patch doesn't solve the problem because of 2 reasons.
> 1. It doesn't change "target" (in diff request), and it still may contain '/'.
> 2. If in my example (just replace http://localhost/svn == file:///tmp/test) diff fails if I compare r2
> and r4.
>
> $ svn diff file:///tmp/test/directory/subdirectory_at_2 file:///tmp/test/directory/subdirectory_at_4
> svn: E125007: Path 'subdirectory/file1' must be an immediate child of the directory
> 'directory/subdirectory'

Thanks for catching those problems. I'll look into them.

>
> Though I can confirm that for r1-r4 comparison the output is ok with your patch.
>
> Actually I didn't expect involving "relative_to_dir" feature because currently svn client doesn't
> set this parameter anywhere. And I don't think it's a good idea to to use it now. As I wrote I think
> a better approach is to eliminate that do{}while(); cycle and to do something like (though it may
> require some significant efforts)
>
> if (any or urls to compare doesn't exist in peg revision) {
> generate full addition/deletion diff using a special report
> //or alternative throw an exception like svn 1.6 does

I don't want a solution that requires a server upgrade.
This is a user-interface problem. The client/server interaction
is capable of producing the required information. We just have to
display the information in a better way. Ideally we should come up with
a simple fix that can be merged to 1.7.x.
Received on 2012-05-03 14:52:32 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.