[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: "svn blame -g" causing svnserve to hang & mem usage to hit 2GB

From: Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:51:47 -0500

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Chris Tashjian <ctash_at_thepond.com> wrote:
>>>>> I posted this on the users list, but I'm confident that this is a bug.
>>>>> Background:
>>>>> For a while now (off and on for over a year, but more frequently in the last
>>>>> 6+ months) we've been having problems with svn "crashing", yet there's no
>>>>> error in the log file.  In talking to someone the users list it sounds like
>>>>> svn is actually just hanging.  Clients get the following response:
>>>>>   svn: Can't connect to host 'svn': No connection could be made
>>>>>   because the target machine actively refused it.
>>>>> Our repository has 129K revisions.  The format is "4 layout linear", it was
>>>>> created with svnadmin 1.4.x and has since had "svnadmin upgrade" run both in
>>>>> 1.5 and 1.6.  We're currently running SlikSVN 1.6.13 (Win32), but I have
>>>>> previously had this problem dating back to versions of 1.5, both stock and
>>>>> from CollabNet.  The issue now happens numerous times per day and it looks
>>>>> like I've discovered why....
>>>>> As a test I ran "svn blame -g" on a file with a bunch of revisions and
>>>>> watched memory usage on the server spin up to 2GB.
>>>> Chris,
>>>> By a "bunch of revisions" what exactly do you mean?  Many revisions
>>>> which were the result of a merge?  Or simply many changes made
>>>> directly to the file (not the result of a merge)?
>>>>> Paul - I'll see if I can get a test repo up with the error.  In the
>>>>> meantime, would a copy of the svn:mergeinfo help?
>>>> Any luck?
>>> Chris,
>>> Don't sweat the replication effort too much, I think I'm on the trail
>>> of this problem.  Using a copy of the old (pre-ASF) Subversion
>>> repository I'm seeing unexpectedly high memory use when using log -g
>>> on a file with a "lot" of merge history:
>>> 1.6.13.client>svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py
>>> 25 MB Peak Working Set Memory svnserve.exe
>>> 1.6.13.client>svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py -g
>>> 291 MB Peak Working Set Memory svnserve.exe
>>   ^^^
>> That should have been 691 MB!  Sorry!
>>> More soon...
> Hi Chris,
> Ok, I think I got it.  Switching to a Subversion trunk_at_1032651 (debug)
> build and using this repository as a test*:
> http://svn.collab.net/tmp/subversion-data-backup/subversion-history-20091115.tar.bz2
>  The peak working set memory of
>    'svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py' was 21 MB
>    'svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py -g' was 574 MB
> That's comparable to what you saw with 1.6.13.
> Applying some standard pool-fu to
> libsvn_repos/rev_hunt.c:(find_merged_revisions|find_interesting_revisions),
> see attached patch, and things look a *lot* better:
>  The peak working set memory of
>    'svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py' stays at 21 MB
>    'svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py -g'
> drops to 71 MB
> A tidy 88% reduction in peak memory usage!
> Running the test suite on this patch.  Assuming no problems I will be
> committing and nominating for backport to 1.6.x.

Nominated r1032808 for backport to 1.6.14.
Received on 2010-11-09 03:52:28 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.