[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: "svn blame -g" causing svnserve to hang & mem usage to hit 2GB

From: Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:23:53 -0500

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Chris Tashjian <ctash_at_thepond.com> wrote:
>>> I posted this on the users list, but I'm confident that this is a bug.
>>> Background:
>>> For a while now (off and on for over a year, but more frequently in the last
>>> 6+ months) we've been having problems with svn "crashing", yet there's no
>>> error in the log file.  In talking to someone the users list it sounds like
>>> svn is actually just hanging.  Clients get the following response:
>>>   svn: Can't connect to host 'svn': No connection could be made
>>>   because the target machine actively refused it.
>>> Our repository has 129K revisions.  The format is "4 layout linear", it was
>>> created with svnadmin 1.4.x and has since had "svnadmin upgrade" run both in
>>> 1.5 and 1.6.  We're currently running SlikSVN 1.6.13 (Win32), but I have
>>> previously had this problem dating back to versions of 1.5, both stock and
>>> from CollabNet.  The issue now happens numerous times per day and it looks
>>> like I've discovered why....
>>> As a test I ran "svn blame -g" on a file with a bunch of revisions and
>>> watched memory usage on the server spin up to 2GB.
>> Chris,
>> By a "bunch of revisions" what exactly do you mean?  Many revisions
>> which were the result of a merge?  Or simply many changes made
>> directly to the file (not the result of a merge)?
>>> Paul - I'll see if I can get a test repo up with the error.  In the
>>> meantime, would a copy of the svn:mergeinfo help?
>> Any luck?
> Chris,
> Don't sweat the replication effort too much, I think I'm on the trail
> of this problem.  Using a copy of the old (pre-ASF) Subversion
> repository I'm seeing unexpectedly high memory use when using log -g
> on a file with a "lot" of merge history:
> 1.6.13.client>svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py
> 25 MB Peak Working Set Memory svnserve.exe
> 1.6.13.client>svn blame ^/trunk/subversion/tests/cmdline/merge_tests.py -g
> 291 MB Peak Working Set Memory svnserve.exe
That should have been 691 MB! Sorry!

> More soon...
> Paul
Received on 2010-11-08 19:24:32 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.