[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

parse tlsext bug

From: Sebastian Krysmanski <sebastian_at_krysmanski.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:17:26 +0200


I think I've found a bug in Subversion. I'm not quite sure whether this is
actually a bug in Subversion or in Apache HTTPd but since the error
"manifests" itself in Subversion I'll try it here first.

The error reads like this:

SSL negotiation failed: SSL error: parse tlsext

I get this error occasionally on commits, merges and even once on a
checkout. It's reproducible. The strange thing is: A friend of mine tried to
commit some changes and got this error. He retried and got the error again.
I think he tried about three or four times without any luck before he split
the commit in two commits (simply committed some files on the first and the
remaining files on the second commit). This way he could commit his changes.
You can find the commits here: https://svn.mayastudios.de/fred/changeset/992
and https://svn.mayastudios.de/fred/changeset/993 (Btw: We're have our own
ticket on this issue here, just in case you're interested:

I've found some information about this on the net but this information was
only related to googlecode. However I'm hosting Subversion myself so these
postings don't apply to my situation.

After some trial and error I found out that the problem (at least the cases
I could reproduce) only occurs when using Apache HTTPd 2.2.12. After I
reverted to version 2.2.11 the error was gone (but this can't be a permanent

Also I found out that the problem that this problem doesn't occur in SVN
1.5.4 (that comes with Ubuntu 9.04). It does, however, occur in TortoiseSVN
1.6.3 (and also with my command client).

Moreover I found out that this problem only occurs if there are at least two
virtual hosts served using SSL on the same IP address (<VirtualHost *:443>)
by Apache (distinguish by their "ServerName").

Some information on my setup:

OS: Ubuntu Server 9.04
Apache: 2.2.12 (works fine with 2.2.11)
Subversion: 1.6.3
libssl: 0.9.8g
neon: 0.28.4
apr: 1.3.7
apr-util: 1.3.8

I hope this helps to narrow down the source of the problem.


Received on 2009-08-04 07:17:27 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.