[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [PATCH] Give svnmucc ability to handle multiline properties

From: Julian Foad <julianfoad_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:25:13 +0100

Purple Streak wrote:
> Thanks for the comments
>
>
> 2009/7/27 Julian Foad <julianfoad_at_btopenworld.com>:
> > Making the escape character configurable seems overly complex - not
> > complexity of implementation, but the sort of complexity that means any
> > time you store or automatically generate svnmucc commands you would then
> > have to keep track also of which character was used, and ensure the same
> > character is used when interpreting them.
>
> This was done very deliberately so as not to break any existing
> scripts. The idea is that if this went in then when the next version
> was released everyone using svnmucc could just carry on as they were.
> The "-c" makes it an opt-in argument.

You misunderstand me. As you say, it is good to make the use of the
escape mechanism optional, for that reason. I meant the choice of WHICH
character to use seems unnecessary.

- Julian

> > In the proposed solution, is there any way to provide an argument that
> > ends with the escape character? In other words, if I choose '@' as the
> > escape character, how could I specify the filename 'tempfile.@@@' as an
> > argument? When I am a human user, I can probably choose an escape
> > character that isn't found at the end of any argument, but if I am a
> > script invoking svnmucc on arbitrary file names then I'd like a way to
> > pass them safely.
>
> No there isn't - i wanted to avoid any extra complexity in parsing the
> lines. This way it's a simple test of the last character. Again as it
> stands this is an opt-in function and so if you're writing a script
> then you would choose the character you want. You can even just put a
> space character at the end of the line which lets the @ get through
> (and then the space gets's trimmed off - a bit esoteric though I
> realise).
>
> 2009/7/27 Geoff Rowell <geoff.rowell_at_gmail.com>:
> > Julian Foad wrote:
> >> It's difficult to pick an escape character. I would tend to choose '\'
> >> because it is so commonly used for this purpose in Unix-like systems. It
> >> could be a bit awkward on Windows, but actually the "put" action is the
> >> only svnmucc action that takes a local file name, and you could assume
> >> that Windows users don't use svnmucc much anyway, so that could still be
> >> good. If you choose '@', as in your example, although it has meaning in
> >> the regular svn client I can't see it being used much in svnmucc input
> >> so that could also be good.
> >>
> > I disagree with Julian's assertion that Windows users don't use svnmucc.
> > Several people in my Windows-based office use it (and could use this
> > feature). However, I can't see a problem with backslash as a continuation
> > character. I'd prefer it over an "at" symbol.
>
> We're actually only using windows here :) This was actually the main
> reason for not using "\" to avoid confusion. However with the "-c"
> argument to people can chose what they want.
>
> Cheers,
> Purple
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376228

------------------------------------------------------
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376235
Received on 2009-07-28 10:25:59 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.