RE: --reintegrate merge problems
From: Trent Nelson <tnelson_at_onresolve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 18:47:22 +0100
This sounds very similar, if not identical, to a problem I’ve run into recently:
- Trunk gets self-referential mergeinfo added to it, i.e. /src/trunk:2-115.
- A branch is created from trunk_at_HEAD (let’s say HEAD = 389).
- The branch inherits trunk’s self-referential svn:mergeinfo in the copy.
- This breaks the wazoo out of any subsequent merges to or from trunk; branch was created from trunk_at_389, but Subversion relies on the svn:mergeinfo when it’s present, rather than consulting the natural history, which results in it trying to apply 116-389 to the branch during the merge.
I can see some self-referential svn:mergeinfo against trunk in your attachments. In my situation, any branch that was created when that mergeinfo was present is completely hosed.
From: Brian Rieck [mailto:BRieck_at_sandcherry.com]
First I hope that it is okay to send attachments to the listsrv and that dev is the right list for this.
We have been having a lot of problems trying to do –reintegrate merges back to trunk. I’m experiencing some especially odd behavior now. To make the problem as simple as possible I did the following:
1) Create a new branch of of trunk
When doing this I get a ton of conflicts. When I look at the svn status in one of the directories it shows what appear to be tree conflicts. The attached file merge_output_and_status.txt shows the output of the merge command, then I give up and CTRL-C, then a cd to a directory where there were conflicts and the output of svn status in that directory.
Some additional background:
-The most common problems up to now have been that there are missing ranges in the branch mergeinfo. I’ve been dealing with that by manually adding the missing ranges to the mergeinfo on the branch.
-We recently moved to 1.6.2, although I wouldn’t be surprised if some developers upgraded before the organization officially upgraded. Prior to that wethe server and I assume most of our users were on 1.5.5
-I am fairly certain that some people have been merging to trunk without –reintegrate and I wouldn’t be surprised if there some folks did some cherrypicking merges back to trunk as well.
-Also attached are two more files - trunk.mergeinfo and trunk.mergeinfo.recursive which show the output of
svn pg svn:mergeinfo --recursive $SVN_TRUNK
The output is quite different between the two. The same commands run on the http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn repository yield identical results.
Any and all help much appreciated.
This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.