[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Possible recrudescence of issue 3113 (ra_serf update "APR does not understand this error code")

From: Jack Repenning <jrepenning_at_collab.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:58:46 -0700

In Issue 3113, lgo reported intermittent failures in update-like
operations over ra_serf, including the message "APR does not
understand this error code." He investigated, but was not able to
reproduce it in the trunk of that time. He and Kamesh each postulated
some revision that might have fixed it, and it was resolved on "unable
to reproduce" grounds, as much as anything else.

I think it just happened to me, in 1.6.0-rc3 (the download tarballs).

Complete with the annoying "and then it went away" feature.

So, maybe there really is a problem here, and it's intermittent based
on some variable none of us has thought to try. Or maybe not. And
anyway, none of us yet has thought what to try, so it's still at most
"irreproducible." I know, I know: this report is rapidly approaching

Here are the details of my experience, for what they're worth. Maybe
they'll click in someone's head?

I built on OS X 10.5.6, under Xcode 3.1.2, from the downloaded
tarballs subversion-1.6.0-rc3.tar.gz and subversion-deps-1.6.0-
rc3.tar.gz. I also download, build, and incorporate BDB db-4.2.52
(with patches 1-5) and expat-1.95.8. I unpack the deps into the
subversion build tree, and build them all together. Configure stati
are attached for the truly curious. My build produces both the command
line and C libraries; my principal interest is to bind the libraries
to my application, SCPlugin.

Having built SCPlugin, I found (with 100% reproducibility) that
checkout and update failed, reporting "APR does not understand this
error code." It's notable, however, that the command-line binary built
in the same "make" did not display this problem. I used otool to
confirm that my program was not mixing APR versions, did a little
debugging, came up dry, and knocked off for the day.

Today, I fire up the debugger again, and ... everything works just
fine. No rebuilds of any kind in between. No reboots of any kind in
between. I am, today, working on a new launch of my app, but I had
killed and relaunched it several times, last night. All runs,
successful and failing, were under the Xcode IDE and gdb debugger, and
I am also, today, working on a new launch of the IDE, and I don't
recall restarting it yesterday, so it's possible the variation is the
IDE's fault.

Today (but not yesterday, sadly), I have used Activity Monitor's list
of open files to confirm that my app has open only APR 1.x libraries.

Jack Repenning
Chief Technology Officer
CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Boulevard, Suite 600
Brisbane, California 94005
office: +1 650.228.2562
mobile: +1 408.835.8090
raindance: +1 877.326.2337, x844.7461
aim: jackrepenning
skype: jackrepenning
twitter: http://twitter.com/jrep


Received on 2009-03-19 21:59:11 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.