> Obviously they're not needed when you're just using binaries linked
> against the libs. But there's still this comment in all .la files
> put there by libtool authors that seems to contradict what everyone
> else keeps telling me:
> # Please DO NOT delete this file!
> # It is necessary for linking the library.
Well, the solution works with and without the .la files so we are in a
good situation. As for this comment, I can see libtool's stance of:
If you don't have the .la files, don't be upset if libtool can't do
its job. The problem is that if we require the .la files, we place a
great deal of work on the binary maintainers. A lot of package
maintainers build in one dir, install into another. That renders the
.la files useless unless you do some sed magic on them. Can it be
done? Sure but requiring a maintainer to massage the .la files and
then ship them only for Subversion is a tough pill to swallow. As it
stood before the changes, anyone without the .la files would have to
rebuild neon and serf just to get Subversion to build and install.
Again, another tough pill to swallow in some cases. The new solutions
works and works with both scenarios with and without the .la files. I
think we're good.
> I don't have an issue. The tree builds for me now. And like you,
> I could not care less about what tools we use as long as the tools
> I can use are FOSS and we can all compile our code[*].
Thanks for working with me on getting this resolved the right way for
all known parties.
> I just find it odd that we had to go and fix anything about libtool
> in the first place. Which in turn caused my build to break, which in
> turn distracted me from working on #3354, which caused yet another day
> of delay for the 1.6 release -- again, after the sqlite build issue the
> other day, which had already had the same effect on me.
> So I was starting to get a bit grumpy.
I'll take the blame here. Sorry for the hold up. This is one of
those "it works on my box" scenarios where I had to go to another
operating system to reproduce the problem you were running into. I'll
take note to check my Linux box next time I change linker logic before
committing. To my defense though, my Mac handled it just find. :P
Received on 2009-01-17 20:03:47 CET