[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

bug candidate: replacing symlink with other symlink turns to plain file on merge

From: BUCHMULLER Norbert <norbi_at_nix.hu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:15:01 +0200


I found a bug in Subversion. Can someone pls test it on the latest
version? (Or tell me if it's a known bug that I overlooked.)

If a symlink is replaced by a different symlink (svn rm link; ln -s foo
link; svn add link; svn ci), everything goes fine, up to the point when
you try to merge this change to a branch, as on the merge the element
becomes a plain file (instead of a symlink).

Note that this bug is similar to issue 2064, but is not the same. (Issue
2064 is about the merge of a change creating a new symlink, this one is
about the merge of a change that replaces a symlink with a different one.
Just to be sure, I tested that it is not a regression of 2064.)

Note2: I understand that replacing an element this way is silly (it
creates a new element with the same name but separate version history).

See the attachment (rm_symlink+add_symlink+merge.sh) for a recipe how to
reproduce the bug.

Subversion version: 1.5.1 (1.5.1dfsg1-1 from Debian lenny)
O/S: Linux 2.6.18 (Debian lenny/testing), i386

PS: Please Cc me as I'm not a subscriber of the mailing list.


To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help_at_subversion.tigris.org

Received on 2008-09-05 19:27:52 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.