[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

SVN 1.4.3 client performance issues

From: speedy <speedy_at_3d-io.com>
Date: 2007-08-09 22:50:20 CEST

Hello SVN crew,

      I have noticed that removing two lines of code from

adm_files.c:

svn_error_t *
svn_wc__adm_cleanup_tmp_area(svn_wc_adm_access_t *adm_access,
                             apr_pool_t *pool)

      namely,

  //SVN_ERR(svn_io_remove_dir(tmp_path, pool));

  /* Now, rebuild the tmp area. */
  //SVN_ERR(init_adm_tmp_area(adm_access, pool));

      reduces the cleanup of an already clean working copy from >3min
      to 12-14sec.

      It seems from the short look on it that deleting / creating tmp
      sub-folders could be made much more efficient...

      I have stumbled upon this while digging for a performance hog
      for "svn up" - thought it would be good to let you know
      about it. (preliminary details on "svn up" one are on the users
      list, topic: "[performance problem report] svn up performance bug?")

      SW/HW Configuration:

      The server is svnserve 1.3.2 / reiserfs / linux and client is
      command line svn 1.4.3 / NTFS / Windows XP, connected with 1Gbit
      LAN. Working copy is 8.6GB, 36k files, 16k folders.

      ps. looking at the file access log, I think I have found a suboptimal
      access pattern on the "entries" file - seems to concur with one
      of the comments in the code about it. But, it looks
      like that one is not the primary time-waster.
      

-- 
Best regards,
 speedy                          mailto:speedy@3d-io.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Thu Aug 9 22:48:44 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.