[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

big memleak in svn 1.5

From: Ben Collins-Sussman <sussman_at_red-bean.com>
Date: 2007-06-06 22:54:51 CEST

We've got some sort of large memleak in 'svn update', a major
regression between svn 1.4 and svn 1.5.

Over at Google, we're playing around with Subversion on some very
large trees. In particular, I've got one project here which is about
1GB of source code (2GB when checked out as a working copy), about
57,000 files and 2000 subdirs.

I'm working on Windows XP. I do an 'svn update' on this working copy
which updates a few hundred files. During this update, my svn 1.5
client (built this week) grows to a resident size of about 300MB, then
spikes up to 570MB during the final update tree-walk (where the whole
tree is marked as being at HEAD).

Another co-worker saw it grow to 1.4 *gigabytes* during an update,
and sent me a screenshot!

When I use a stock svn 1.4.3 client to do the same update, the memory
usage slowly grows to 96MB, and stays there even during the final
update tree-walk. Not great, but much more sane. No spiking.

I repeated the whole experiment on Linux, and I get nearly identical

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed Jun 6 22:55:05 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.