[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

New merge-sensitive log feature

From: Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2007-05-26 19:18:55 CEST

Hyrum, others.

I made a sample repository for our merge tracking early adopter
program at CollabNet. You can download a dump file here for testing:

http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8590&expandFolder=8590&folderID=0

At the same location, you will also find a graphic that visualizes the
repository transactions that are in the repository. Currently the
last transaction in the graphic has not been committed because I got
some unexpected conflicts and wanted it to be easy for dlr to look at
it.

Anyway, since I had this repository, I figured I would test it with
the new svn log -g feature. There are some problems with the results.

Ran this command:

svn log -g -r 13 $REPOS/trunk

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r13 | merger | 2007-05-25 20:41:20 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line

Merge branch b
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r10 | auser | 2007-05-25 20:34:22 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r13

Added product roadmaps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r11 | merger | 2007-05-25 20:38:10 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 4 lines
Result of a merge from: r13

Merged branch a
 - Product restructure
 - New roadmaps
 - Had to resolve conflict in products/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r12 | buser | 2007-05-25 20:40:03 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r13

Rearrange products alphabetically.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

First problem is that the merge sensitive history is in the wrong order.

Second problem is that r10 comes from r11. So its message should say:

Result of a merge from: r11, r13

Final problem is that I believe there was also an r7 that should have
shown in the history from r11.

If I run this command:

svn log -g -r11 $REPOS/branches/b

I get even crazier results:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r11 | merger | 2007-05-25 20:38:10 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 4 lines

Merged branch a
 - Product restructure
 - New roadmaps
 - Had to resolve conflict in products/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r9 | copier | 2007-05-25 20:24:07 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11

Create branch b
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r1 | user | 2007-05-25 20:01:05 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Create initial product structure
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r2 | user | 2007-05-25 20:07:03 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Flesh out page content before launch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r3 | copier | 2007-05-25 20:09:29 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Create branch a
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r4 | auser | 2007-05-25 20:13:35 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Create page for medium product.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r5 | copier | 2007-05-25 20:14:33 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Create branch c
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r6 | merger | 2007-05-25 20:16:28 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Merge branch a. Added medium product.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r7 | auser | 2007-05-25 20:22:00 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Restructure product pages. Fixed content on product index.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r8 | user | 2007-05-25 20:23:16 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11, r9

Missing medium product on index.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r10 | auser | 2007-05-25 20:34:22 -0400 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 1 line
Result of a merge from: r11

Added product roadmaps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the output should have just shown r11 and then r10 and r7
which were the two revisions merged.

I know the feature is not done. I just thought this might help focus
in on some remaining work.

-- 
Thanks
Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Sat May 26 19:19:04 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.