[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Possible bug

From: Karl Fogel <kfogel_at_red-bean.com>
Date: 2007-04-22 05:17:46 CEST

"Todor Totev" <umbra.tenebris@list.ru> writes:
> I hope this gives enough information to track the problem but if you
> need more details I'll try to provide them.

Can you write a shell script (batch script) that reproduces the
problem for Subversion 1.4 or higher? I think that would be the
easiest way for us to understand the bug.

Your bug report was a combination of transcripts and prose
descriptions; this made it a bit hard to follow. (I appreciate that
you tried to be thorough, but for complex recipes, we really need a


> Hello all,
> please excuse me if this is not the proper channel for bug reporting.
> I experience some problems with subversion. I'll try to describe my setup
> and finally will summarize what my problems are.
> * My setup
> I'm using Windows XP and TortoiseSVN (linked with Subversion 1.4.2).
> The server is subversion 1.2.3
> I have a working copy consisting mainly from files checked out from
> "server/trunk".
> But some of the files are switched to a branch "server/branches/2005".
> The working copy - repository relations are like following
> / -> server/trunk/
> /lib -> server/trunk/lib
> /lib/project.vcproj -> server/branches/2005/lib/project.vcproj
> /lib/file1.cpp -> server/trunk/lib/file1.cpp
> /lib/file1.h -> server/trunk/lib/file1.h
> In short, in the trunk are Visual studio 2003 projects and in the 2005
> branch are
> the 2005 projects. All other files are from trunk.
> * What happened
> Now we decide to remove the 2003 files. A coleague of mine had in a
> single commit
> moved the files from 2005 branch to trunk. The commit log looks like:
> Deleted /branches/2005
> Replacing /trunk/lib/project.vcproj copied from
> /branches/2005/lib/project.vcproj
> * What I experienced:
> I updated to the HEAD revision. Now all my switched files are lost.
> They simply do not exists as files. Tortoise reports that i'm fully
> updated and
> do not changes the files on disk.
> * What I tried to do
> My first attempt at repairing the damage is to switch the files.
> This miserably fails:
> svn.exe sw svn://server/trunk/lib/project.vcproj y:\lib\project.vcproj
> reports "svn: 'Y:/lib/project.vcproj' does not appear to be a working
> copy path"
> which is understandable as the file do not exists.
> My second attempt was to update to revision prior the offending one
> and then
> update back to HEAD.
> This has an unexpected outcome.
> I tried it once and it reports that "y:\lib\project2" is not versioned
> resource"
> I said "WTF?" and tried second time. Then it reported:
> "y:\lib\project3 is not versioned resource"
> It appears that every time I tried to update to the previous version
> Subversion
> fetches only *one* of the missing/switched files and reports the next
> one as "not a versioned resource".
> Doing this sufficient times finally allowed me to get to the previous
> version and update successfully to HEAD.
> In short the two problems I experience:
> 1. The switched files are removed from working copy when updating to
> revision which includes moving
> these files from switched branch to the branch of the working copy
> 2. After that I cannot update to a previous version in one step.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Sun Apr 22 05:17:53 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.