[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Possible bug

From: Todor Totev <umbra.tenebris_at_list.ru>
Date: 2007-03-28 16:55:09 CEST

Hello all,
please excuse me if this is not the proper channel for bug reporting.
I experience some problems with subversion. I'll try to describe my setup
and finally will summarize what my problems are.

* My setup
I'm using Windows XP and TortoiseSVN (linked with Subversion 1.4.2).
The server is subversion 1.2.3
I have a working copy consisting mainly from files checked out from
"server/trunk".
But some of the files are switched to a branch "server/branches/2005".

The working copy - repository relations are like following

/ -> server/trunk/
/lib -> server/trunk/lib
/lib/project.vcproj -> server/branches/2005/lib/project.vcproj
/lib/file1.cpp -> server/trunk/lib/file1.cpp
/lib/file1.h -> server/trunk/lib/file1.h

In short, in the trunk are Visual studio 2003 projects and in the 2005
branch are
the 2005 projects. All other files are from trunk.

* What happened

Now we decide to remove the 2003 files. A coleague of mine had in a single
commit
moved the files from 2005 branch to trunk. The commit log looks like:

Deleted /branches/2005
Replacing /trunk/lib/project.vcproj copied from
/branches/2005/lib/project.vcproj

* What I experienced:
I updated to the HEAD revision. Now all my switched files are lost.
They simply do not exists as files. Tortoise reports that i'm fully
updated and
do not changes the files on disk.

* What I tried to do

My first attempt at repairing the damage is to switch the files.
This miserably fails:

svn.exe sw svn://server/trunk/lib/project.vcproj y:\lib\project.vcproj

reports "svn: 'Y:/lib/project.vcproj' does not appear to be a working copy
path"
which is understandable as the file do not exists.

My second attempt was to update to revision prior the offending one and
then
update back to HEAD.

This has an unexpected outcome.
I tried it once and it reports that "y:\lib\project2" is not versioned
resource"
I said "WTF?" and tried second time. Then it reported: "y:\lib\project3 is
not versioned resource"
It appears that every time I tried to update to the previous version
Subversion
fetches only *one* of the missing/switched files and reports the next one
as "not a versioned resource".
Doing this sufficient times finally allowed me to get to the previous
version and update successfully to HEAD.

In short the two problems I experience:
1. The switched files are removed from working copy when updating to
revision which includes moving
these files from switched branch to the branch of the working copy
2. After that I cannot update to a previous version in one step.

I hope this gives enough information to track the problem but if you need
more details I'll try to provide them.
Regards,
Todor

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed Mar 28 19:16:17 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.