From: Malcolm Rowe
Subject: Re: Quite an odd post-commit error after a successful commit
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:08:16 +0000
> Hi Nori,
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:23:07PM +0900, Kobayashi Noritada wrote:
> > When committing with a client, the client dumps core and the entire
> > working copy is locked (i.e. marked with "L").
> It should never be possible for the server to cause the clients to crash
> like this, although we did fix some crash bugs in 1.4.3 that could
> conceivably be triggered by this.
> Has the problem recurred since your original message?
Sorry for replying so late.
After my first report, the ensuring investigation revealed some
respects, and here I report them again.
The post-commit error recurred a few times:
* [2006-12-21] The issue occurred and some lines were recorded in the
server's error.log. The post-commit hook was not set up this time.
(So, there was a mistake in my description, "The issue occurs only
when post-commit hooks are turned on".)
* [2007-01-05] The issue occurred. This was the first time the issue
occurred after our setting up the post-commit. Restarting apache
(probably) resolved the issue. Report here.
* [2007-01-23] The issue recurred and restarting apache resolved it.
* [2007-03-06] The issue recurred and restarting apache resolved it.
In cases above, we used mainly Subversion 1.1.4 (and sometimes 1.3.2)
since the host was a Debian stable (sarge) machine. However, 1.1.4
was too outdated and I suggested using newly backported 1.4.2. The
server admin agreed about it and we upgraded the server to 1.4.2.
After that, THE issue have not recurred, but a little bit different
issue desribed as follows occurred on 2007-03-14 and 2007-03-17:
* This is also an issue in running post-commit hooks, but it is not a
core dump or an error; it is a warning. When users commit files, a
following warning sometimes occurs:
"WARNING: Failed to start '/org/svn.debian.or.jp/repos/hooks/post-commit' hook"
As the warning says, the post-commit hook is not invoked.
* There are some similarities to the previous issue:
* The commit itself succeeds.
* The occurrence of the warning and uninvokation of post-commit hook
continues to occur in all commits once it occurs. Only one known
resolution to stop it is restarting apache.
* There are differences from the previous issue, maybe resulted
from the difference between an error and a warning:
* The post-commit issue is not recorded in Apache's error log.
* No lock left behind in the working copy. So, the issue is not
so harmful, except that the post-commit hook is not invoked.
I cannot determine whether this issue (and the previous issue) is due
to a bug in Subversion, in Apache, or in the server's memory. I hope
the issue(s) would be resolved by information provided above...
Received on Sun Mar 18 02:45:59 2007
- application/pgp-signature attachment: stored