[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Tags

From: <hakon_at_ion.no>
Date: 2006-07-08 13:16:38 CEST

>>> hakon@ion.no wrote:
>>>>> I think it is important to have some sort of a wizard available to
>>>>> prevent Repos Admins from making mistakes in the initial repository
>>>>> layout.
>>>> A wizard is nice, but it does not solve my issues. I want a better
>>>> tagging
>>>> interface, which has to be built-in to Subversion.
>>> Well, I understand that a wizard doesn't fix all our problems.
>>>
>>> When you say "tagging interface". Do you mean that you think Subversion
>>> has all the necessary support for tagging, but you just don't like the
>>> way to use it. (too many arguments, URL too long, etc.)
>>>
>>> Or do you think it lacks some kind of functionality? Maybe you can
>>> think
>>> of situations that aren't possible at all with the current tag support
>>> in subversion?
>>
>> The current Subversion scheme is difficult and too verbose for humans.
>> (Whether it is 'difficult' is controversial, though.)
>
> Well, I like the subversion tagging and branching mechanism very much.

Many people agree with you, and therefore we cannot change the current
mechanism, only improve it. This also means that my current suggestions
must be discarded in favor of a more 'backward compatible' solution.

>> For programs it is worse, because there is no built-in concept of a tag.
>> So Subclipse, for example, must ask the user to find the tags for it,
>> _then_ it may present the tags through the UI.
>>
>> But we are not very far from a better solution, the difficult part is
>> getting everyone to agree on one. :-)
>
> I think it is faaaaar away:
> I don't know a single alternative proposal which does not have
> serious problems, e.g. missing important features like version
> control of tags,

Well, this is taken care of in the current scheme, so it will work in the
improved scheme.

> or a more complex UI by having two different
> tagging mechanisms in parallel.

Yes, there is much opposition into bringing another tagging mechanism into
the scene. So we must make the new tagging mechanism work & feel like the
current - only improved.

>>> Btw: I don't want to crush all your arguments and tell you to quit
>>> complaining, it's just that I don't have that much experience with
>>> tagging used in company procedures etc. The scenarios I can come up
>>> with
>>> all seem to work in subversion. So I have to have some examples before
>>> I
>>> am able to see what subversion lacks. (And what subversion doesn't
>>> quite
>>> lack, but still is very hard to accomplish.)
>>
>> Make a program that lists all tags for a project (e.g. given the URL of
>> the 'trunk').
>
> svn list <trunk-url>/../tags/

No, this will not work if you have layed out the project with /trunk,
/tags and /branches in the root of the repository. The program cannot know
your intentions without some meta-information.

> Personally, I prefer a repository browser like in TSVN anyway,
> because there you can browse both trunk and tags itself,
> and browse into tags.

Other people may not agree with you, and Subversion needs to support all
of them.

Håkon Hallingstad

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Sat Jul 8 14:16:05 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.