[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [Bug] ClientException with special characters in SVNClient.diff (JavaHL) if properties changed

From: Mathias Weinert <mathias.weinert_at_gfa-net.de>
Date: 2005-11-22 08:53:51 CET

Malcolm Rowe <malcolm-svn-dev@farside.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 05:44:03PM +0100, Mathias Weinert wrote:
> > I have a problem with the diff function in JavaHL's
> > SVNClient class (using (cygwin's) Subversion 1.2.3):
>
> > "svn: Safe data '
> > Property changes on: x' was followed by non-ASCII
> > byte 195: unable to convert to/from UTF-8"
> >
>
> That's odd. From what I can see, that message is only generated if
> Subversion can't work out how to translate text between the native locale
> and UTF-8; we then fall back to an ASCII-only mode.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about cygwin, but on my Linux and
> Mac OS machines, I've got an 'iconv' utility; running 'iconv -t UTF-8 |
> iconv -f UTF-8' acts as a filter, translating text on stdin (in the system
> locale) into UTF-8 and back again (in other words, an identity transform,
> assuming you can convert to UTF-8 and back).
>
> You could try that: it may give you a useful error message (alternatively,
> it may just be confusing if cygwin doesn't have iconv, or APR-on-cygwin
> doesn't use it).

$ echo xx | iconv -t UTF-8 | iconv -f UTF-8
iconv: (stdin): cannot convert
x

I also tried it now under Windows without using cygwin and got
the same ClientException (BTW: I only have the JavaHL bindings
for Windows as I didn't manage to build them under cygwin).

For me the question is why does everything else work but only
throw an exception if there are changed properties.

Patrick Mayweg <mayweg@qint.de> wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
> it looks like JavaHL did not find the APR-Iconv Dlls, but the command
> line client does. Why it want to convert the path from or to UTF-8, I do
> not know.

I again wonder why everything else works using JavaHL.
If the conversion from or to UTF-8 wouldn't work at all
I would expect to get ClientExceptions in other cases, too.

Mathias

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Tue Nov 22 08:54:30 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.