[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Text-base differs from wc, svn st doesn't notice

From: Lele Gaifax <lele_at_nautilus.homeip.net>
Date: 2003-11-25 01:15:07 CET

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a strange situation, and I cannot understand what is
going on.

I have a WC, extracted just a few days ago. Everything seemed ok,
until I found that Delphi wasn't able to load one of the forms (DFM,
in textual form): a little search revealed this:

$ svn --version
svn, version 0.33.0 (dev build)
   compiled Nov 14 2003, 11:24:41

Copyright (C) 2000-2003 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' schema
  - handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' schema

$ svn st
M u_MainDM.pas
M u_AnalisiModelloSingoleOperazioni.pas
M u_AnalisiModelloBase.pas
M u_MainDM.dfm
M u_AnalisiModelloSingoleOperazioni.dfm
$ svn st u_AnalisiModelloBase.pas
M 1986 1986 lele u_AnalisiModelloBase.pas
$ svn st -v u_AnalisiModelloBase.dfm
             1980 1296 lele u_AnalisiModelloBase.dfm
$ cmp u_AnalisiModelloBase.dfm .svn/text-base/u_AnalisiModelloBase.dfm.svn-base
u_AnalisiModelloBase.dfm .svn/text-base/u_AnalisiModelloBase.dfm.svn-base differ: byte 16567, line 595

See? That DFM is actually corrupted (for whatever reason, see below),
but neither "svn st" nor "svn diff" signal the fact. The checksum in
.svn/entries matches the .svn-base version, and luckily it's the
version I get fetching out a fresh copy from the repository.

With a little bit of alarm, I went to the root of my working copy,
and executed the following:

$ for f in $(find . -path '.svn' -prune -o -name '*.dfm'); do \
  cmp -s $f $(dirname $f)/.svn/text-base/$(basename $f).svn-base ||\
  echo "$f"; done

to discover that I have four similar cases! One, in particular, is on
a project I did not even visited since checkout, and I cannot explain
how it got corrupted, but that's secondary. The real question is, how
is that svn doesn't notice?? Is this a known problem (I searched in
the issue tracker, but didn't find any related entry)?

All the DFM are marked with svn:eol-style=CRLF, and extracted in a
ext3 filesystem hosted by a linux 2.4.22, if that matters.

I know I should be testing this on 0.33.1 or HEAD, but I'll do that
after some sleep...


nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.
email: lele@seldati.it	|		-- Fortunato Depero, 1929.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Tue Nov 25 01:15:01 2003

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.