[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Building Subversion r4503 / self-test commit_tests 16 fails under Cygwin - resolved

From: <Dr.Stefan.Dalibor_at_bfa.de>
Date: 2003-02-05 10:22:11 CET

On 05 Feb 2003 at 00:06, Karl Fogel <kfogel@newton.ch.collab.net> wrote:
> Dr.Stefan.Dalibor@bfa.de writes:
> > But more serious, even after removing the angle brackets from the test
> > data, the test fails (see below for result details).
> > Now my questions are:
> > 1. Does this mean the current stable version of Subversion is broken
> > in the Cygwin environment?
> > 2. Is a patch available from one of the development versions fixing
> > the bug?
> > 3. Or is the test failure a non-issue, provoked by the ambiguities of
> > the emulation environment?
>
> You say you removed the angle brackets from the test data, but from
> the log of the failing test, it looks like they are still there (or
> are still being expected by something, anyway).
> ...

Sorry, I goofed up and included the wrong version of the test log
(please see my second mail with the same subject to Subversion dev
from 2003-02-04 18:10 for the log of the failed test w/o angle brackets).
But I think this can be considered to be resolved anyway:

On 04 Feb 2003 17:46, Philip Martin <philip@codematters.co.uk> wrote:
> It looks like a problem with the test harness. The problem also
> occurs on my Linux box if I enable the Windows bit, but the number
> varies. "$$" is the shell variable for process ID, I guess the $
> characters need to be escaped somewhere.
>
> It's a test harness problem because Subversion does handle $$ from the
> Unix command line
>
> $ touch wc/\$\$
> $ svn add wc/\$\$
> A wc/$$
> $ svn ci wc
> Adding wc/$$
> Transmitting file data .
> Committed revision 6.

I confirmed this under Cygwin - if the following patch is applied to
commit_tests.py, the test passes (I'm just not sure which would be
the correct substitution character for the angle bracket under
Cygwin):

*** /tmp/subversion-r4503/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/commit_tests.py-orig Wed Jan 22 08:16:09 2003
--- /tmp/subversion-r4503/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/commit_tests.py Wed Feb 5 09:51:59 2003
***************
*** 1040,1045 ****
--- 1040,1053 ----
    if svntest.main.windows:
      angle_name = '$angle$'
      nasty_name = '#![]{}()$$%'
+ elif sys.platform == "cygwin":
+ # Cygwin is Unix as far as Python is concerned, but we can't test angle
+ # brackets because the underlying M$ OS refuses to create filenames
+ # containing them; also, substituting dollars for the angle brackets makes
+ # the test fail because `$$' is expanded to the current PID by the Unix
+ # shell at some stage of the test execution:
+ angle_name = '&cygwin-angle&'
+ nasty_name = '#![]{}()&&%'
    else:
      angle_name = '<angle>'
      nasty_name = '#![]{}()<>%'

So I think it's safe to move to Subversion under Cygwin, too :).

Thanks for the quick response,
Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed Feb 5 13:53:41 2003

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.