[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

some FreeBSD Berkeley DB hints

From: Jason Harris <jharris_at_widomaker.com>
Date: 2001-12-10 20:43:02 CET

On FreeBSD, the db3-3.3.11_1 port is a pain. It is careful not to conflict
with the db2 port's libraries and header files but cheerfully clobbers
its db_* executables. It also does some weird renaming of the libraries
and puts the libraries and header files in ./db3 subdirectories -
actions that just cause more confusion.

Therefore, I wound up building and installing db3 by hand. Make sure you
apply patch.3.3.11.1 and patch.3.3.11.2, cd to build_unix, then try this
configure incantation:

../dist/configure --enable-compat185 --enable-dump185 --enable-cxx

I got a clean build and install in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3.

I then did this to configure subversion 0.7 from the bootstrap tarball:

./configure --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3

This worked all the way up to the point where the test program to grab
the db revision numbers was actually ran. The problem is that
-L<path> _finds_ the shared objects while compiling, but that path isn't
used automagically when you try to _run_ the program. For that you need
to run (as root):

ldconfig -m /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib/

RTFM on ldconfig(8) for more details.

After a lot of trial and error, I now have a _dynamically_ linked svn
executable _with_ server capability, and I don't have to bother with
building db3 again. (Never mind the fact that db 4.0.14 has been released.)

HTH.

(NB: I'm not on the mailing lists.)

-- 
Jason Harris
jharris@widomaker.com

  • application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
Received on Sat Oct 21 14:36:52 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.