[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: NT porting gotcha

From: Brian Behlendorf <brian_at_collab.net>
Date: 2000-08-12 02:24:57 CEST

On 11 Aug 2000, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Based on conversations and emails, it seems that some people will
> strongly prefer invisible ".SVN" subdirectories, and others strongly
> prefer the visible "SVN" (or something similar). I'd hate to tell one
> side or the other that there's nothing they can do about it,
> especially when it's so easy for us to support whatever the client
> specifies.

And I *know* some people will want to use "CVS" if they're moving over
from a CVS installation and that's the only protected namespace they have.

> So my instinct is: pick a default but also offer the flexibility.
> 90% of people will go with the default; the other 10% should be told
> -- via documentation -- about what can happen, but otherwise not
> interfered with. Tools such as Emacs will deal with this as they
> always have: by picking the same default, and offering the user a way
> to change it if necessary.

Might be wise to make it CVS then, since there are probably tools already
familiar with that exception.

Received on Sat Oct 21 14:36:06 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.