I'm trying to move my SCM repository from perforce to svn and am being
tripped up by what looks to me like a spurious error.
- Perforce server: P4D/FREEBSD60X86/2007.3/152469 running on FreeBSD
- Subversion server: subversion-1.5.5 OpenBSD package on OpenBSD 4.5-
- p42svn.pl v0.21 on OS X 10.5.7 Intel with Perl 5.8.8,
p4api-2008.2.199044 and p4perl-2008.2.
Fortunately this repository isn't huge so I can experiment with the
full dump and load at will.
I create the dump with
./p42svn.pl --branch //depot/prj=trunk/prj > /shared-mounts/
And attempt the load with
rm -rf repos-name
svnadmin create repos-name
svnadmin load repos-name < /shared-mounts/scratch/p4repos2svn.dump
Well into the load I get
<<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 50
svnadmin: File already exists: filesystem 'repos-name/db',
transaction '49-1d', path 'trunk/prj/www/domain-name/elements/err/'
* adding path : trunk/prj/www/domain-name/elements/err/ ...
To cover a few questions that might come up:
- Whether I use a shared network directory as shown or scp or rsync
the dump file from the machine doing the extract to the machine doing
the load makes no difference.
- Combinations of --user, --munge-keywords and --convert-eol options
to p42svn have no effect on the error.
- Performing the load as root or as the user that runs svnserve has no
effect on the error.
- Performing the load with svnserve running or not has no effect on
- I've seen reference in this list to issues with duplicate revision
numbers and have checked the dump file carefully - I do not find any
I am not expert in svn dump files, but perusal of the file suggests a
pretty straightforward format and I find no problems with munged-up
transactions. The first line of the dump file is "SVN-fs-dump-format-
version: 1", which I presume identifies the file's schema.
The point at which the load fails seems to be the first point at which
the referenced path is mentioned, so it clearly should not yet exist:
# grep -n -A8 -B1 trunk/prj/www/domain-name/elements/err/ /shared-
As you can see, the directory in question and the two files in it were
added once and have not been touched since. I am at a loss as to
where I go from here and would greatly appreciate any assistance
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-05-26 23:41:55 CEST