I just went through this problem, here is how I solved it (I'm running on a 10.3.6 machine)
DON'T use 1.0.9! Use the lastest source (see my comments below for why)
1) Download the latest stable source release (should be at http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=260) and download the 1.1.1 version (or whatever is the latest).
2) Open the INSTALL file, and read the instructions in section II INSTALLATION->B. Building the Latest Source under Unix. Follow those instructions. If you've never installed subversion before, then this is going to mostly be running the autogen.sh script.
3) Once that script runs, you will be able to correctly run the configure script, but you may have problems anyways. I solved them by making everything statically linked, and by enabling maintainer mode (./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-static) Try the different ways, it would be interesting to see what happens.
4) run 'make'
5) run 'make check' - not strictly necessary, but if there are any problems, this will help catch them.
6) run 'make install' - I don't know if you need to be root or not for this; I installed to a different directory, one where I can delete everything to get back to my base system.
At this point, everything should be up and running.
A word of caution; the default repository type is the SleepyCat (Berkeley) Database. Don't use that, it gets corrupted on a horribly regular basis under OS X (I averaged 3-4 database corruptions per week, and I'm the only one using this repository/server). Use the FSFS option when creating a new repository instead, it seems more stable (make lots of backups though! I don't KNOW that it is any more stable...) Also, whenever you setup your default editors, don't use pico; it seems to mangle the default log messages slightly, making your log files look a little weird.
Oh, and read up on any open bugs regarding languages; I remember that there was one on the list a few days ago that said that 2 byte languages (Japanese IIRC) weren't being handled correctly if the names of the files used the 2 byte characters. I'm guessing from your comment below that you aren't using english on your machine, so you may have problems as well. I would suggest creating a test repository and putting together some stress tests for the names of files/directories/whatever to see what happens.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Olle Raab [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
> Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 5:54 PM
> To: Subversion
> Subject: Re: Building Subversion on Mac OS X
> 04-11-11 23.19, skrev Jack Repenning följande:
> > On Nov 11, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Olle Raab wrote:
> >> Hello
> >> I am trying to build the client of Subversion-1.0.9 on Mac
> OS X 10.1.
> >> The build was ok.
> > I think the two errors you mention here are not related to
> each other.
> >> When installing, I get the following error (after a lot of things
> >> installed):
> >> [/Nytt/subversion-1.0.9] % sudo make install
> >> ...
> >> subversion/svnversion/svnversion: error:
> >> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion
> >> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion does
> >> not exist This script is just a wrapper for svnversion.
> >> See the libtool documentation for more information.
> >> make: *** [revision-install] Error 1
> >> .. but actually the file:
> >> /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs/svnversion
> >> _do_ exist on my machine.
> > Since you sudid the install test, maybe root doesn't have execute
> > access to some directory in that path? This can happen if you're
> > reaching over NFS. Try "sudo ls -la
> > /Nytt/subversion-1.0.9/subversion/svnversion/.libs", see if it can
> > read it. If not, check perms on all those directories.
> It can read it.
> >> Nevertheless, I then did try to run Subversion, I get:
> >> [~] % svn
> >> svn: error: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
> >> svn: error: environment variable LANG is sv_SE
> >> [~] %
> >> Setting LANG to e. g. en_US doesn't help.
> > unset LANG
> Then I get this:
> [~] % svn
> svn: error: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
> svn: error: environment variable LANG is not set
> [~] %
> > I don't know why this is happening, happens to me, too.
> Anyway thanks for the answer.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: email@example.com
For additional commands, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received on Mon Nov 15 17:11:02 2004