[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Problem with an advert (I assume) on your download site

From: Robin Guest <robin.guest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:39:57 +0100

Just once I'd like to see someone taking responsibility for the
consequences of advertising. It's always dressed up as beneficial to
the project team, and never seen as an even more pernicious form of
what all advertising is: ways of persuading people to buy stuff they
didn't want to, or taking a cut when they were going to buy the stuff
anyway. Don't tell me, the people who got decieved were stupid, or
it's their own fault for not using adblock?

On 23/09/2011, Neil Sandford <neil.sandford_at_neilsandford.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks, Jack
>
>
>
> I previously got a similar response from Mark Phippard and have posted to
> the tortoise user maillist which you run.
>
>
>
> What gets me is that the rogue button is designed to look just like the real
> ones, just a bit bigger and squarer. It's out and out deception.
>
>
>
> If Tigris is hosting the offending page then I say you have a duty of care.
> If you say that responsibility for the page content lies with the
> Tortoisesvn team then it is them who have a duty of care and you should turn
> the page off until they respond to the breach.
>
>
>
> Best regards
>
>
>
> Neil
>
>
>
> Save our inboxes!
>
> http://emailcharter.org
>
>
>
> From: Jack Repenning [mailto:jackrepenning_at_tigris.org]
> Sent: 23 September 2011 05:22
> To: Neil Sandford
> Cc: feedback_at_tigris.org
> Subject: Re: Problem with an advert (I assume) on your download site
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sep 22, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Neil Sandford wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi, thought you ought to know about this
>
>
>
> Went to http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html yestrday to download tortoise
> svn and hit the big green download button.
>
>
>
> Thought it was taking a while and discovered I was installing something
> called I-LIVID. Waited till it had finished and then did an uninstall. For
> some reason this big green button labelled "Download" had been at the top of
> the tortoise download page. Today that real estate is taken up with a
> vodaphone advert.
>
>
>
> To cut a long story short, there is a now a ILIVID toolbar listed in my
> programme files and Firefox is unusable because the home page has been
> captured. All courtesy of Bandoo Media Inc and distributed by yourselves.
>
>
>
> How do I get rid of it? Would uninstalling Firefox help?
>
>
>
> Neil
>
>
>
> It sounds as if you were deceived by an ad that the TortoiseSVN team has
> allowed on their pages. I'm afraid I can't be much help in this.
> TortoiseSVN, like all Tigris projects, maintains its own mail lists, help
> resources, bug base, and knowledge base. This list is only involved in
> whole-site matters like maintenance and down time. The best place for your
> question would probably be users_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org.
>
>
>
>
> -==-
> Jack Repenning
> Domain Administrator
> http://www.tigris.org
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2844049
>
> To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail:
> [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].

-- 
Sent from my mobile device
------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2844051
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
Received on 2011-09-24 00:40:05 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.