RE: Re: TortoiseProc Launch failed
From: Henrik Bengtsson <henrikb_at_braju.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 02:43:50 -0700 (PDT)
I also received this error after updating to the latest TortoiseSVN. I managed to solve it. Here are the details:
1. I successfully did "SVN update" with TortoiseSVN-1.6.7.x (not 100% sure what version I had, but it was fairly new). I've used TortoiseSVN successfully for a few years now. I'm on Windows Vista Business 32-bit SP2 (ENG). Running Windows Security Essentials.
2. TortoiseSVN saying reported that there is a newer version. I updated (without uninstalling first) to TortoiseSVN-220.127.116.1125-win32-svn-1.6.12.msi. No other updates to Windows recently (including no Windows updates in the background).
3. Did *not* restart the computer.
4. Tried to use TortoiseSVN, e.g. "SVN log". Received the error dialog:
"TortoiseProc Launch failed: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."
All "TortoiseSVN" submenu options gives this including "TortoiseSVN -> Help".
5. Restarted the computer.
6. Still recieving the error.
7. Scanned the Windows Registry with CCleaner. There was nothing related to TortoiseSVN, but I cleaned out all issues anyway.
8. Still recieving the error.
9. Uninstalled TortoiseSVN via the Windows Control Panel. Confirmed that there was nothing left.
10. Restarted Windows.
11. Removed %ProgramFiles%/TortoiseSVN/, because it contained a BerkeleyDB License.txt.
12. Scanned the Windows Registry with CCleaner. Detected: "Unknown File Extension *.patch", and 3 "Missing MUI References" for TortoiseProc.exe, TortoisePlink.exe and TortoiseMerge.exe". Cleanup again.
13: Reinstalled above TortoiseSVN.
14. "TortoiseSVN -> Help" and "TortoiseSVN -> Show log" works now, even before restarting the computer.
15. Restarted the computer.
Not sure if Steps 11-12 are needed.
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.