[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: TSVN 1.5.0.13316 - Odd issue with branching working copy

From: Phil Paradis <Phil.Paradis_at_unitedtote.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:02:58 -0700

> 2008/6/27 Phil Paradis <Phil.Paradis_at_unitedtote.com>:
> > I attempted to branch my working copy of our project's trunk, and got
> the
> > following error (the path has been renamed to protect the innocent...)
> at the
> > end of the process:
> >
> > At revision: 366
> >
> > Can't check path
> >
> > 'https://10.10.10.10/svn/MyProject/branches/temp/notDoneYet': The
> > filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> >
> > I was attempting to branch from my working copy of 'https://
> > 10.10.10.10/svn/MyProject/trunk', and selected the option to switch
> to the
> > new branch when complete.
> >
> > The branch appears to have completed successfully on the server; my
> working
> > copy appears to have switched successfully, but all of the existing
> > modifications appear as if they were never committed, preventing me
> from
> > committing or updating.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what my problem is?
>
> Probably illegal characters in the filename/path (remember the
> repository stores the tree in database, not directly in the Windows
> filesystem, so it has no such restriction), but as you haven't given
> us that information we can't tell.

The file/folder names contain only alphanumeric characters and periods. Everything in the repository was originally created and checked in from the same machine and an identically configured machine used by the other member of my project team.

We did recently upgrade from SVN 1.4.x to 1.5.0, if that makes any difference whatsoever. (We did update the repository format, but did not recreate our working copies manually.)

I suspect the problem is related to other applications (Visual Studio and Explorer) having active handles to the files being manipulated; I tried checking out another copy of the trunk and simply switching to the new branch, which also failed due to devenv.exe holding handles to some folders which were to be deleted. The folders remained, but the contents, including the .svn folders, were gone, and the working copy was then hosed until I killed devenv and manually deleted the empty folders.

There was a lot going on at the time; when I get a chance I'll see if I can reproduce the problem in a simple example and report back; I just figured I'd ask in case it was a known issue or pointed to my having done something incredibly stupid...

Thanks,

--
Phil
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on 2008-06-27 23:02:04 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.