[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Announcing SubversionForum.com

From: Stefan Küng <tortoisesvn_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2007-08-01 16:11:38 CEST

Chris Stewart wrote:

> > Can you share those ideas? Maybe get some feedback before you put
> > everything online?
>
> I'm attempting to work with providers of tools related to Subversion to
> come together in a common place to discuss and learn about Subversion
> and their tools. Other things I'm trying to do can't be discussed
> openly just yet. As I can talk about them I certainly will.

If you can't talk about those yet, then whatever you're planning won't
be open source. Or you haven't understood what open source means. Either
way, I'm getting suspicious...

> > Please describe the "void" that you feel. What exactly is missing?
>
> I definitely feel that a central place for Subversion help, learning,
> and discussion is missing. svnforum.org <http://svnforum.org> fills
> some of that gap, along with the svn mailing list, along with this list,
> and others. The key here is central.

The central place for Subversion is http://subversion.tigris.org. From
there, you can find anything you need about Subversion.
And no, it doesn't have to be on the same server. A link is a link, it
doesn't matter if it points to another server or not.
So, there already *is* a central place.

If you really want everything in one place, you would have to include
docs and FAQs as well. And that's never going to happen because there
simply are too many clients out there with each having docs of their own.

> > I'm sorry, but to me this seems just like a lame excuse to try to make
> > some money of other peoples work.
>
> So I'm guessing you feel the same way about svnforum.org
> <http://svnforum.org>, correct? I don't see how I'm trying to make
> money off of other people's work. It's really not appreciated that you
> make that claim as a way to discredit me.

That's not a claim, that's my opinion.
svnforum.org was there since the early days of Subversion. It first
started out as a few articles on how to install, build, configure
Subversion on different OS. The forum was added later, together with the
new domain name.

> > I've checked your blog, and while it's not that interesting, the one
> > thing that came to mind when I scanned over some articles there is that
> > the whole site is mostly MFA.
>
> Everyone has an opinion and I appreciate hearing yours. Instead of
> scanning over the front page articles, take the time to read them and
> follow the site for more than 5 mins before you claim it's MFA.

I've read 5 pages, not just the front page. Ok, I haven't read
everything, as I said I scanned over most of the articles. I mean I
really don't care what ring you gave your wife or that you have an
iPhone or a blackberry. But what I did get from your articles is that
you're more comfortable using MS Team System than Subversion.
And yes, I still think it's MFA.

> > Apart from that: when you first announced dotnetsvn, I tried to check it
> > out. I tried some time later again, and just now again. The server is
> > either completely down or not reachable. And it never was. That clearly
> > shows that you are not really interested in your own projects and that
> > you don't follow through with them. Otherwise you would have noticed
> > long ago that the whole server isn't reachable.
>
> I just checked the site as well and it appears to be down again. We
> receive free hosting and it's safe to say we've had problems with it.
> The server may not be up right now but don't act as if it never has
> been. My analytics would suggest otherwise, my SVN commit history would
> show otherwise, and the fact I updated the site on my vacation two weeks
> ago would suggest otherwise.

Ok, every time I tried to access the site it was down. How could I (or
anyone else) know or even assume that your site isn't down all the time?
Of course you can claim that you commit quite often, but without a
running site no one can verify that.

> I'm certainly interested in DotNetSvn but it's not the only thing I do.
> I work a full time job, have a wife, a baby on the way, run a business,
> and other sites. Don't take that site and claim my interest level
> because you can't access it right now.

I have a full time job too. Ok, I don't have a wife or a baby.

> > Another thing: I'd like to have people discussing stuff on our mailing
> > lists so I can read what they post. There might be a bug in TSVN which I
> > have to fix, or I might get an idea on how to improve TSVN so the people
> > won't have the problems they're discussing about. If the users would do
> > that spread all over multiple forums and other places, I would miss that
> > important information.
>
> I certainly agree with this point. That's what I'm hoping to help solve
> with a central local for _everything_ related to Subversion.

But it never occurred to you that you might have to ask *first* and
*then* put everything online? Were you afraid of the answers you would
get from the developers of all the Subversion clients and tools?

Stefan

P.S.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and mailing lists?

-- 
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
  (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
    \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
    /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on Wed Aug 1 16:10:10 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.