[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: 1.3.5

From: Lübbe Onken <l.onken_at_rac.de>
Date: 2006-06-19 09:23:37 CEST

Stefan Küng wrote:

>> Since you were flooded by crashreports, I'm convinced that this
>> particular bug would not have made it into the release. More testers
>> = more configurations, more use cases. It can only help us.
>
> It all depends on what you think is "flooded" with reports.

Wasn't that your own choice of words in the 1.3.5 release announcement?

> of two revisions was backported, that's why it crashed), I was
> annoyed.

I can imagine ;-)

>>>> How about a poll on SF:
>>>> Would you test RCs?
>>>> ( ) never
>>>> ( ) maybe
>>>> ( ) of course
>>> Also ask if they would actually *report* a bug if they would find
>>> one. Some people just try out RC because of the new features,
>>> they're not interested in reporting bugs (I do that too with some
>>> programs).
>>
>> See if you like http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/node/206/
>
> Right now, at 17:34 CET there are eight votes. Four of them would
> install an RC but not report anything, the other four would *maybe*
> report it if they found something serious. So you see,
> exactly my point.

If you consider eight votes statistically significant, you get your point.
Meanwhile the willingness to test RCs has increased a bit.

>>> I really don't get why you want an RC for intermediate releases too.
>>
>> Because it hurts me physically if this kind of bug slips through.
>
> Please explain the physical pain here.

A certain nausea alternating with the feeling of being beaten with a club
and cramps in my mouse hand. Nothing serious.

>>> Even the Subversion project sometimes has to make a 'fast'
>>> bugfix release.

I think I got you now. That was just some clever plan of yours to push our
download rate on sourceforge!

>> That's no reason not to try to make it better.
...
> If someone else is willing to do the whole release thing,
> then ok, let's
> do it. But as long as I'm the one who has to do it, I have to say no
> here. A release keeps me busy for a whole evening, time which I could
> spend otherwise.

I know and understand that. I don't want to create a lot of work by creating
RCs

I like Simons suggestion how we could increase the test exposure of the
"stable nightly" = "ongoing release candidate". Since the nightly builder
does the compilation and everything, I can easily take care of uploading
stuff to SF and announcing "RCs".

Cheers
- Lübbe

--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
 (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
   \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
   /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on Mon Jun 19 09:24:04 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.