[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [TSVN] Performance issues with new log feature

From: Mark Phippard <MarkP_at_softlanding.com>
Date: 2005-04-25 20:13:51 CEST

SteveKing <steveking@gmx.ch> wrote on 04/25/2005 02:04:21 PM:

> Mark Phippard wrote:
> > I have a couple of issues with Show Log and the use of the new
Subversion
> > API to return "100" revisions at a time.
> >
> > 1) If talking to a 1.1 server you have to wait while every revisions
is
> > pulled down to the client, and then you only get to see 100. You have
to
> > go through this for every 100 revisions. I assume we cannot detect
this
> > at all in TSVN? It would be nice if:
>
> That's not true. Yes, it takes some time until the log messages appear,
> but during that time the network is idle - no data packets are sent or
> received.

But I thought when the svn client library was talking to a 1.1 server, it
did the filtering locally, since the server did not support the feature?

> > a) It knew this was happening and at least just displayed every
revision
> > instead of 100. I think I know that it can't know this or access
those
> > revisions.
>
> Not possible, because only those 100 revisions are transmitted.
> (at least with apache, haven't tested svnserve).
>
> > b) Maybe have a preference to use the old technique?
>
> You're kidding right? An option for downgrading? No way!

I understand the sentiment. However, if you had a need to run 1.2 for one
project, but still has to use a 1.1 server for a different project, you
might feel differently. Using this option against a 1.1 server that has a
lot of revisions is a bit painful.

> > 2) I think there might a Subversion bug in this somewhere. I have a
> > mirror of the TSVN repository being served by a Windows Apache server
> > running 1.2 RC1. If I use Show Log on the TSVN repository at
collab.net
> > it works great. The new feature is awesome! If I run Show Log
against my
> > internal Windows server (which is generally super-fast) it is pretty
> > obvious that EVERY revision is coming down to my client. It probably
> > takes a minute to show the log results. Is anyone else testing 1.2 on
a
> > Windows Apache server? I do not want to just run off and report this
on
> > the SVN list (I just really noticed it).
>
> I haven't had the time to upgrade to 1.2 (on the server side) yet.

I think this was a red-herring. I have not been using this repository
much lately and I think it might have been a server-side caching issue. As
in reading the repository from disk. The more I ran the option the faster
it got. I now see the log in a couple of seconds.

Mark

_____________________________________________________________________________
Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
_____________________________________________________________________________

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on Mon Apr 25 20:14:13 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.