Currently, trunk creates and uses format 11 working copies, which are
"old style". These have the standard entries file, along with various
directories for wcprops, regular props, pristine files, and other
bits. In order to make implementation easier, and to help us test wc-
ng, I'd like to move trunk to format 12, the wc-ng format, soon.
Here's why, and what you need to know for the transition.
* Eating our own dog food is a Good Thing.
* We can remove the current cruft in trunk which is used for
upgrading and writing to format 11 working copies. (Reading code will
still hang around because it is required as part of the upgrade
* Generally more straight forward implementation, as we focus
strictly on the new format.
* Possible breakage as bugs are worked out (though, if you run
trunk, you assume that's part of the deal, right? :) )
* The format implementation is still in flux, which may cause
incompatibilities within format 12 versions (see breakage, above).
* Current implementation is *slow*.
Stuff that needs to happen before we can make the switch:
* Remaining test failures with wc-ng on trunk fixes (6 left).
* Implement some cache cleanup, as the number of open database
handles currently exceeds the number allowed open file descriptors on
* Show we can do a checkout and commit using trunk.
I think Greg is going to look at the caching issues at some point, and
I pray he looks at the test failures too. We've implemented an
upgrade solution which will allow conversion of existing working
copies to the new format. We also plan to warn people again when we
make the switch, and possibly give folks a few days to test stuff "in
the wild" before we cut over.
Received on 2009-04-15 23:30:09 CEST