Thanks for the instructions you posted yesterday. They inspired me to
give it a try. I ultimately got it working but did have a few problems
along the way. Since you are submitting a patch for INSTALL, let me point
them out to you. These are all based on what you had on subversionary.org
By the way, I am a total SVN newbie and this was the first time I ever
attempted to build it myself.
I started with a virgin Win2K install using VMWare.
1) When Python is installed it has to be added to the PATH.
2) I had problems building Apache relating to mod_ssl and mod_deflate.
Since neither of these are required for the purposes of why we are
building Apache, I would recommend that your instructions do not place
OpenSSL and ZLIB within the Apache srclib folder. Actually, this also
would solve problems later in your instructions where you are referring to
those folders at a higher location in the directory tree.
3) I tried a lot of different versions of ZLIB, some with source, some
without, and never could get mod_deflate to build.
4) For mod_ssl, the make file needed some GNU utilities like bison, I
noticed the Apache instructions say it needs awk. I was able to find and
download these, but putting them in the PATH did not solve the problem. I
finally found some docs that explained that there is an executable PATH
within VC++ that you have to specify for NMAKE to find them. This is
under Tools -> Options ... Directories (Executables). If the
instructions were changed such that mod_ssl was not ging to be built then
perhaps these would not be needed at all? If they are needed, then this
should be added to the instructions. I think when VC++ is installed, it
takes everything currently in your PATH and "primes" these settings
internally, so that might be why some people do not run into it.
5) There is a newer version of OpenSSL. Instructions should point to it,
or explain that you cannot use it for reason XYZ.
6) There are many newer versions of ZLIB. I couldn't get any of them to
build with Apache, but worked fine with SVN.
7) If OpenSSL is to be used with mod_ssl it has to be unpacked into an
"openssl" folder, as your instructions state, but later you are using the
fully versioned folder name (openssl-0.9.7c). Again, if we just skip the
mod_ssl stuff this becomes moot.
8) Your "xcopy" instructions for APR folders left off the "/S" switch.
9) Your instructions had the user create an SVN repository for no obvious
reason why. This became a little confusing later when running the tests.
10) Finally, your instructions for running the tests gives an invalid
URL. It should just be http://localhost
Thanks a lot!
Received on Fri Apr 23 15:30:39 2004